Baby I’m back!
Man oh man has it been a long time since I wrote anything on this blog. I originally stopped blogging because it has become too time consuming and there was too much going on in my life outside the blogosphere. However, with the new year I wanted to make some new changes. Therefore I’m bringing back the blog! I won’t be posting all of my meals, just the ones worth mentioning.🙂 I want this to be more of a chronical of my adventures in the kitchen (and on the pavement) than a daily log of my life.
In the next few months the training for the Boston marathon is going to intensify, so my goal is to make super nutritious, energy packed meals. I sustained a partially torn patellar tendon as a result of my first marathon in Hartford, CT, so I’d reeeally like to focus on taking care of myself this time! Not that a 3:32:24 total time is anything to sneer at, but I bet I could do a little better if I wasn’t in so much pain throughout all the training, etc!
Last night I cooked up some Seitan Sausages w/ saurkraut with a side of butternut squash fries. Just look at that steam rising…🙂
Seitan Sausages: (makes 6 sausages)
- 1/2 cup mashed kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a food processor puree all of the ingredients until the dough comes together.
- Have ready 6 sheets of tin foil.
- Divide dough into 6 even parts.
- Take one of the mounds of dough and roll between your hands to form a long, slender log (like a hotdog).
- Wrap dough in tin foil, like a tootsie roll. Don’t worry too much about shaping it, it will snap into shape while it’s steaming because this recipe is awesome.
- Place wrapped sausages in steamer and steam for 40 minutes.
This recipe is seriously amazing (even if they do look a little odd)! Thank you Post punk kitchen and CCV for turning me onto these!!! I put half of these into the freezer for some good eatin’ down the road.😉