Fri night recap
After work yesterday we had a happy hour at a local pub…. from 3-6. I was definitely thankful that I had already made dinner before I went to work. A few beers = zero desire to cook… especially anything healthy. I came home to the wonderful smells of beef stew cooking. 😀 I used a recipe that I had come up with in college. Unfortunately I tend to not write down everything that I put in so it was a little bland at first. Of course, a little doctoring after the fact did wonders! Here’s the recipe (with later additions added)
Cat’s Beef Stew: (serves 6-8)
- 1.5 lbs beef, stew meat, cut into small chunks
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 lb onions, cut into wedges
- 1 lb carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup beef broth (can sub in veggie broth)
- 1/4 cup red wine (or stout beer)
- 1 (28 oz.) can whole tomatoes, with juices
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt (plus more to taste)
- 2 tsp black pepper (plus more to taste)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup canned peas
- Season the beef with black pepper and salt and coat each piece with the flour. Heat large skillet over med-high with a touch of oil. Add beef dredged in flour and cook until browned, stirring often.
- Place the potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and garlic in the crock pot. Top with beef. Add broth, wine/beer, tomatoes with juices, Worcestershire, spices and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours (or low for 8-12 hours); or until beef is fork tender.
- Mix the remaining flour with 1 tbsp water. Add flour mixture and peas to cooker. Cover and cook an additional 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Take out the bay leaves. Serve!!
I cooked the meat and did all my prep work the night before so that all i had to do ws dump everything in the pot and go to work! The bf and I enjoyed our hearty fall meal with a few dirty vodka martinis and he rest of my Calbee Snap Pea Crisps on the side.