Now that’s what I call fast food!
Since my stir-fry never really happened last night, it finally made an appearance tonight (kind of). I used up some of the poached chicken and brown rice I had sitting in the fridge, along with some chopped broccoli and bell peppers that were left over from Tapas Night. I think everything was finished in less time it takes to order and recieve a happy meal from McDonalds. Does your fast food look or taste this good??
Spicy Mock Stir-fry:
- steam about 1 cup broccoli until bright in color
- add chopped bell peppers and cooked chicken and cover for 5 minutes
- remove from heat & toss w/ 1 tsp tabasco, 2 tsp teriyaki sauce and 2 tsp Vermont Pepper Works’ “Roasted Garlic-Carrot Cayenne Pepper sauce”
Meanwhile… heat up a pan over medium-high heat for the Fried Rice:
- add 1 tbsp olive oil
- toss in 3/4 cup frozen peas & carrots (thawed)
Make sure that you stir the pan frequently so that nothing burns or sticks to the pan. Normally I would make this with soy or tamari sauce, but I had none on hand and refused to go to the store and spend any more money!
Admittadly this was not my most inspired dinner, but honestly I was just starving and wanted to make something that would be quick, tasty and filling while using what I already had on hand… I just moved into a new apartment so I’m definitely trying to stretch my money right now.
A few money saving tips for those in my position… students… etc.
- Try to make double sized portions when you cook and refrigerate or freeze the rest. Then you won’t be as tempted to order out.
- Stock up on dried rice & beans and prepare a big batch for use during the week.
- Canned & frozen fruits and veggies make a nice cheap substitution for pricey produce.
- Spices are your friend!!! You can jazz up and dish economically using sauces and marinades made from dried herbs and spices.
Peekay seems to always be lurking in the background when I pour myself a glass of wine… Can anyone guess what book’s main character he’s named after?? Hint: This character dreamed of becoming “the welter-weight boxing champion of the world”. Answer to follow tomorrow….